SAS Introduction & Overview
SAS System is an integrated system which helps in providing a powerful programming language used for analytical use. It has been in use for a long time now. The components of SAS Programming called procedures allows its users to perform many different kinds of analysis and data management functions. SAS is the most Preferred tool in the Market these days. Earlier we had R and Python as the Programming Tool but these Tools have got certain Limitations. SAS Tools doesn’t have many limitations and comes with brilliant Features and edge Points. The SAS Programming Language has features helps in making immense Variety of Applications.
It produces different types of text-based and graphical presentation output.
- Perform Data entry, Mathematical and Statistical analysis
- Applications development
- Retrieval, report writing and management
- Access raw data files and data in external databases and database management systems.
- Graphics design, formatting, and conversion.
- Business forecasting and decision making
- Operations, research and project management
Let’s understand SAS Programming along with its key features:
- Powerful Data Analysis Abilities
- It makes all kind of Analysis. The Analysis ranges from Simple Statistics to Advanced level of Analysis. This could be about plotting a graph or finding correlation between complex data sets
- The best Feature of SAS Programming Language is: it has got inbuilt libraries providing almost everything that is needed to analyse and Report the Data
- 4th Generation Programming Language (4GL)
- Easy-to-learn syntax. Its code looks like statements which provides clear and Concise instructions to the systems
- Can do Data Manipulation
- These statements are like clear and concise instructions to the systems.
- Non-programming users can also use SAS as it has lesser Coding Requirements than before.
- SAS is an interactive and user-friendly language. It instructs the user by providing notes and
- It has DS2, which helps in data manipulation. Complex data can be manipulated, at its location in the database
- SAS Studio
- With SAS Studio any Web Browser can have the access to all the Data Files of SAS Program
- It is very instructive in nature. Autocomplete feature prompts us various procedures as soon as one starts typing. Pop up syntax and parameter list is displayed for further guidance.
- You can easily focus on adding and Creating Code Snippets and later on add it to the Snippet Library
- Get guidance and understand the whole Analysis Process
- Support for Various Type of Data Format
- SAS language can read the data even from the Missing Format which means it can Read data of any type and of any Format.
- SAS provides a huge database of character encoding; a help for most widely used languages and even SQL
- It can work with Data in Multiple Languages
- SAS provides Best Management
- SAS Developer Manages and Monitor the Complete analytics environment.
- It lets you complete the Failed Program from wherever it failed once you Restart the Program
- Does Multiple Task like import and export of XML documents, creating XML Maps in XML Engine
- It Measures and checks for availability of Transactions
- Report Output Format
- Displays analytical results and Measuring reporting choices
- High-quality graphics
- Save and Create Reports in order to get the advantage of Visual Analytics
- Customizing the Output after checking out the needs of the Customers
- Data Encryption Algorithms
- SAS encrypts the DATA on the disks. It makes sure that the Security of the Data is maintained even after the access is granted to anyone
SAS, a command-driven software package which is also called SAS (statistical analysis system) is used for Advanced Analytics, Data Visualization and multivariate analyses.
SAS Software comes from the Core of SAS System. It is the leader in Analytics. It is a Suite of analytics software which uses innovative analytics, data management software, BI and services, SAS helps in converting data into better decisions.
It is called a Statistical software that students can use by Downloading or Launching in the Cloud Services. SAS software is available only for Windows operating System.
SAS can be used within a Virtual Machine on Mac. The virtual machine here runs Windows or Linux. For Mac you can use: Apple Boot Camp software, Parallels, VMware Fusion and there are other products as well.
SAS Requirement & Download
For Windows, the requirements are:
Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10
Minimum 1GB RAM
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9, 10 or 11
Mozilla Firefox 21 or later
Google Chrome 27 or later
For Mac OS X, the requirements are:
Mac OS X 10.8 or later
Minimum 1GB RAM
Apple Safari 6.0 or later
Mozilla Firefox 21 or later
Google Chrome 27 or later
- Is learning SAS Easy?
The Syntax in SAS is very Easy. The User doesn’t need to be a Programmer to Learn SAS. It can even be learned by the ones who do not have Programming Knowledge. The coding comes in simple Statements and instructs the Machine clearly about what is to be done.
- Can SAS Handle Large database?
SAS has a strong ability to handle large database and heavy analytical Results very easily.
- What are the debugging possibilities in SAS?
The SAS Language is Comprehensive and the Users can easily debug it by understanding the error.
- Can everyone Trust the SAS algorithms?
The main advantage is SAS is a closed Source Program. It is properly checked and tested in a Controlled Environment before its Release
- How is the SAS Customer support?
The best part is the spontaneous Customer support as the SAS Customer Support itself is handled by the SAS Organization.
- How is SAS Data Security?
Do you know the ultimate and standalone reason why the SAS System is Popular in the Business World? It is because of the Data Security. You already know Confidentiality is so Cool. The Data in SAS can’t be extracted without a License and is fully secured. DATA Security is not guaranteed in R, so people prefer SAS over R also over any other language for analysis.
- What is SAS GUI?
SAS makes statistical computing easier. It is the only language which does so for the non-programming users. Now, SAS GUI is the Graphical User Interface. It has various tools like plots, graphs and a highly versatile library. It even lets you make Specifications before the code
- How is the SAS Output?
SAS has evolved over a long period of time. It OUTPUT is really is nice and formatted. It is easily comprehensible.
- How SAS execute DATA Step?
Data steps are easily executed line-by-line and observation-by-observation. It Picks up the first Observation, runs it through the whole Data Line by Line before going for the second Observation.
- What is the Job Prospect of SAS?
SAS developers and SAS Jobs have both evolved since SAS came in the market. SAS Programming Language has a Huge Job Prospect. People learn SAS so that they can easily nail it to the analytics World.
SAS Certification is important and brings out your Full Potential of the investment that you’ve made in SAS. SAS is called as the standout Credential in analytics. Well, you can become a Certified SAS Professional now and bring SAS Technology in the most innovative and Creative use.
There are 5 Categories for SAS Certification Programming:
- Foundation Tools
- Advanced Analytics
- Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Data Management
You can get the SAS Certification form below:
Learning Path of SAS Programming
- Create SAS Profile. Download VMWare or Oracle Virtual box. Now, download and Install SAS
- Take the Base Training on sas.com
- Learn SQL to access data in SAS
- If you do not know Statistics, learn Descriptive Statistics from Udacity
- Learn ANOVA, Linear and Logistic Regression used in SAS
- Learn About Decision Tree Algorithm
- Learn how to Cluster and do the Segmentation of the Data
- Learn about Time Series and forecasting
- Learn about SAS Macros
Top 10 most useful Resources of SAS Programming:
- Top 50 SAS Interview questions
- Common SAS Commands
- Top 8 SAS Books Learners need to refer
- Step-by-Step Programming with Base SAS Software
- SAS(R) 9.2 Language Reference: Dictionary, Fourth Edition
- Best Book for Programmers SAS Statistics by Example
- Easy-to-follow guide to bring SAS in your Business practice
- SAS Presentation
- SAS Data Statement and PROC Statement
- Top SAS Tips and Tricks